“Visit the best place’s and monument’s of Corfu Town and fill the Corfiot hospitallity.”
Liston Corfu in Spianada Square is in a complex of multi-storeyed buildings of French architecture, with characteristic arcades and lanterns.
It began to be built by the French Imperials after 1807 and is a typical sample of that era. Strongly evokes the “Rue de Rivoli” of Paris, built around the same period . The word in a sense derived from the Venetian quote “Lista” which means the wide and rectilinear road, such as “Liston de Piazza”,the Piazza San Marco in Venice , while the prevailing theory , only those included in the Libro d’Oro could walk here . The personal signature of nobles was a precondition to enter the closed for many area, where only the elite and privileged could enjoy a walk or a drink!
Old Fortress of Corfu
Old Fortress of Corfu is a Venetian fortress in the city of Corfu. The fortress covers the promontory which initially contained the old town of Corfu that had emerged during Byzantine times.
Before the Venetian era the promontory, which lies between the Gulf of Kerkyra to the North and Garitsa Bay to the south, was defended by Byzantine fortifications which the Venetians largely replaced with fortifications of their own design. As part of their defensive plans the Venetians separated the promontory from the rest of the city of Corfu by creating the Contrafossa, a moat which is a sea channel connecting the Gulf of Kerkyra to the North with the Bay of Garitsa to the South, converting the citadel into an artificial island. The fort successfully repulsed all three major Ottoman sieges: the great siege of 1537, the siege of 1571 and the second great siege of Corfu in 1716.
St.Michael – St.George Palace
St.Michael-St.George palace be located in Corfu City on the island of Corfu, Greece. The Greek name is “Palaia Anaktora”.
The palace was built by Sir Frederick Adam, the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands. It served as the High Commissioner’s residence, but was also the home of the Ionian Senate and the Order of St Michael and St George. The foundation stone was laid on St. George’s day in 1819. The location is between the old town of Corfu and the Venetian citadel. After the union of Corfu with the Kingdom of Greece in 1864, the palace served as a Royal residence until the Second World War. It miraculously survived the Italian bombardment of Corfu City during the Corfu Incident.
Saint Spyridon of Corfu
Saint Spyridon of Corfu Island is closely connected with the religious and the general history of Corfu, transported from Cairo of 1456 in the capital of the Ionian islands. Since the Holy Relic changed many temples until 1589 which was inaugurated the present church of St. where moved there permanently.The main part of the interior decoration of the temple are carved wooden gilt picture frames Urania
.The images,the work of the great painter P. Doxara ended in 1727 unfortunately not survived and were replaced by copies of Nicholas Aspioti .Of the many tributes to the greatest temple in historical value are the two largest silver kandiles the Venetian Senate and the Venetian nobility.The procession of Holy Saturday , is the oldest and established in commemoration of the miracle of the Holy rescue of Corfu by famine in 1553 * about.